Searching this site with the Eclipse search tool is a little different from searching the Web with a service such as Google. Here are some guidelines for getting the most out of a search on this site.
- Use AND to require the term on each side of the AND operator be present in the
topic. Note: When you don't put anything between terms, the search tool assumes you mean AND. Topics that contain every term in the query are listed in the search. For example, if you enter database service, topics that contain both the term database and the term service display. Topics that contain only the term service or only the term database do not display.
- Use OR before optional terms. For example, if you enter database OR service, topics that contain either the term database or the term service display.
- Use NOT before a term that you want to exclude from the search results. For example, database NOT service displays topics that contain the term database, but do not contain the term service.
- Use ? to match any single character. For example, plu? displays topics that contain plug.
- Use * to match any set of characters, including an empty string. For example, plu* displays topics that contain plug or plugin.
- Use double quotation marks to enclose a term that is to be treated as a phrase. For example, "edit menu" displays topics with this entire term, not topics with only the term edit or the term menu.
- Case is ignored. For example, database service displays database service, Database Service, and DATABASE SERVICE.
- Punctuation acts as a term delimiter. For example, web.xml displays topics that contain web.xml, web, and xml. To display only topics that contain web.xml, enclose the term in double quotes.
- In a search query, if you enter create, topics that contain create, creates, creating, and creation are displayed. To only see the term create, enclose the term in double quotes.
- The following English words are ignored in search queries: a, and, are, as, at, be, but, by, in, into, is, it, no, not, of, on, or, s, such, t, that, the, their, then, there, these, they, to, was, will, with.