To organize your work with tracker artifacts, you can make an artifact a "child" or a "parent" of another artifact.
- A child artifact can have only one parent.
- A parent artifact can have any number of children.
- A parent artifact cannot be closed if a child is open.
Note: "Open" and "Closed," in this context, refers to a type of status, not the status itself. A tracker administrator can specify a group of statuses, such as "Deferred," "Fixed," or "Rejected," as equivalent to "Closed," while "In progress" and "Under consideration" might be specified as "Open" statuses. For example, when you look at the artifact summaries at the top of any tracker list page, you are seeing a summary of the status type, not the status, of the artifacts.
- On an artifact page, click the Dependencies tab.
Choose or create the related artifact.
Note: If Choose Parent or Create New Parent is not visible, the artifact already has a parent artifact. An artifact can only have one parent artifact.
- If the parent artifact already exists, click Choose Child or Choose Parent. In the pop-up, type in the artifact ID or choose from the list of your recently edited artifacts.
- If the related artifact does not exist yet, click Create Child in or Create Parent in and select the tracker that the new related artifact will belong to. Fill in the form the same way as you would for submitting an unrelated artifact.
- Click Next.
- Write a comment that describes the relationship, if appropriate, and click Finish.
The parent-child relationship between the artifacts is established.
- To cancel a parent dependency, click Remove.
- To cancel a child dependency, select the child artifact and click Remove.
Note: Task dependencies and tracker artifact dependencies are different things.
- For tracker artifacts, an artifact with dependencies (a "parent" artifact) can't be considered closed unless all of its dependent artifacts ("children") are closed.
- For tasks, a dependency means one task can't start until another task is completed.